Can you measure A healthy life?
Sure you can - by the cup, the ounce, and the block. If you're at RISK for TYPE 2 DIABETES, you can make small, measurable changes that can reduce your risk and help you live a happier, healthier life.
change is tough - we can help
Reduce body weight by 7%.
Gradually increase physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week.
Group Support for a WHOLE YEAR.
- The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program gives you the skills you need and the support you deserve to make lasting healthy lifestyle changes.
- You participate in a safe space where you feel comfortable sharing and learning in private.
- We work as a group where you can make new friends.
- You will enjoy new energy and confidence that comes from losing weight and reducing your risk for type 2 diabetes.
DO I MEET THE PROGRAM REQUIREMENT?
o I am at least 18 years old
DO I HAVE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING LAB VALUES OR DIAGNOSIS?
- A1c:(must be 5.7% – 6.4%)
- Fasting Plasma Glucose: (must be 100 – 125 mg/dL)
- 2-hour (75 gm glucola) Plasma Glucose: (must be 140 – 199 mg/dL)
- Prediabetes determined by clinical diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes (GDM) during previous pregnancy
AM I AT RISK FOR DEVELOPING DIABETES?
Prediabetes means your blood glucose (sugar) is higher than normal, but not yet diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be delayed or prevented in people with prediabetes through effective lifestyle programs. Take the first step. Find out your risk for prediabetes.
|TAKE THE TEST – KNOW YOUR SCORE!|
|Answer these seven questions - for each “Yes” answer, add the
number of points listed:
|Are you a woman who has had a baby weighing more than 9 pounds at birth?||1||0|
|Do you have a parent with diabetes?||1||0|
|Do you have a brother or sister with diabetes?||1||0|
|Is your BMI > 25 (Use the calculator above.)?||5||0|
|Are you younger than 65 years of age and get little or no physical activity in a typical day?||5||0|
|Are you between 45 and 64 years of age?||5||0|
|Are you 65 years of age or older?||9||0|
|TOTAL POINTS FOR ALL “YES” RESPONSES:|
Are you ready to join us?
If your "yes" answers score 9 or higher, then you may be at risk for prediabetes or diabetes, and may qualify for the program. This does NOT mean you have diabetes. You will need a blood test to confirm if you have diabetes.
*Contact Theresa Wing, RD at 585-341-4064 or email Theresa for more information about program fees, financial assistance, and whether the program is a covered benefit for you. Please download our brochure to have at your fingertips.
Westside |Class is forming for Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 2:00pm.
- MVP Medicare and United Health Care patients may hold the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program as a Covered (in full) Benefit. Contact Theresa Wing or call 800-237-4942 to find out.
- This program may be FREE to you! Employees of Southwest Airlines, The Hertz Corporation, and New England Motor Freight should contact their Human Resources departments, contact Theresa Wing, or call 800-237-4942 for information.
- Our financial assistance program is made possible, in part, through grant support from the Greater Rochester Health Foundation. Additional monies come courtesy of funding from TheYMCA of Greater Rochester's Annual Campaign
Do you want additional information? Are you already diagnosed with Diabetes? Monroe County Department of Public Health has "The Diabetes Resource Directory" available for you.
Take the Diabetes Prevention Pledge on Facebook.
United Health Foundation’s Take Action for Change Initiative
A proud supporter of the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, United Health Foundation launched this initiative with the release of America’s Health Rankings® in November 2011. Select the YMCA of Greater Rochester to receive a 25 cent donation for each vote via this Facebook link: Take Action for Change.