The YMCA Northeast Leaders School is a week long summer leadership conference at the beautiful Silver Bay YMCA in Lake George. The 2013 conference will take place from July 28 - August 2. The program is designed to meet the needs of the individual teen by providing them with skill development and valuable personal and group living experiences.
At Leaders School, teens participate in a structured program that includes:
- Leadership and teaching skills in Aquatics, Physical Education, and Special Interest areas
- Character Development and Values Education
- Elective programs in a broad area of interests
- Special programs and events including an induction ceremony, banquet, and dance
Goals and Objectives
Leaders School is designed to meet the following goals and objectives:
- To supplement the work of the local YMCA in training its young people who have demonstrated leadership potential
- To offer a mentoring experience with volunteers and professionals to stimulate their continuing interest in the work of the YMCA
- To introduce methods of teaching and leadership skills, qualifying them in turn to initiate training in their own YMCA
- To enhance leadership capabilities including teaching and performance skills in physical education, aquatics, recreation, character development, and other areas of YMCA youth work
- To acquire the human relations skills necessary to translate personal values into positive action
- To have the most amount of fun possible in 5 and half days!
Leaders School Staff
A staff of YMCA directors and volunteers throughout the Northeast provide leadership and specialized instruction. They are carefully selected for their experience with teens, Leaders Clubs, teaching, and group work skills.
Registration for 2013 is now closed.
The following documents must be completed and signed to participate in Leaders School.
YMCA Northeast Leaders School has limited scholarship opportunities available for qualifying families. Please download the form below and return it to Steve Henshaw, Leaders School Director (firstname.lastname@example.org or at Southeast Family YMCA, 111 East Jefferson Rd., Pittsford, NY 14534) prior to sending in your registration forms. Scholarship gifts will be decided within three days of receipt of completed paperwork.