Pilot Program – FUEL: Mind and Body Fitness for Adolescents
When: 6-7:30 pm | Tuesdays & Thursdays February 24-May 15
At Eastside Family YMCA
YMCA of Greater Rochester and UR Medicine Fitness Science are teaming up to provide a free comprehensive wellness pilot program for adolescents.
Members ages 11-13 can participate in learning nutrition foundations, mindset training, and beginning levels of strength and conditioning for a complete approach to health and fitness.
45-minute sessions for Mindset and Nutrition (rotated every other session)
45-minute sessions for strength and conditioning (every session)
- Learn the foundations of fitness, mindset and nutrition, and create baseline wellness measures through evaluations and assessments.
- Introduce parents to the program with joint learning sessions.
- Develop personal mindset values and goals.
- Nutrition guidelines on how to manage appropriate food portions, healthy fats and how to read nutrition labels. Parents session on meal preparation and planning.
- Mindset training on focus, concentration and communication skills – learning self-talk, process goals, controlling the controllable.
- Build resilience skills through techniques to bounce back from adversity with life challenges.
- Discuss the building blocks of confidence and self-belief.
- Final nutrition parent and student session: learning easy dinners at home and new healthy recipes.
- Conclude the program through final assessments and creating action plans to continue newly learned healthy habits.
- Curriculum developed for adolescents to help build healthy habits.
- Learn reachable healthy guidelines for nutrition; fun, strength-building activities focused on injury prevention; and mindset tools to manage stress, stay focused and increase resilience.
- Build new connections with YMCA members through engaging group activities.
- Parents can participate to help reinforce learning.
- Collaboration between YMCA and UR Medicine brings a comprehensive approach to wellness.
To register, please contact Mike Avery by email or phone at 585-341-3041. Register today – space is limited to only 16 participants.