Our Commitment to You
We are grateful for the opportunity to support you and want to provide you with the best customer service possible. To do that, we ask for your cooperation, understanding and patience throughout the process.
- Applications can be submitted the 1st through the 20th of each month: We want to uphold our commitment to you in processing your completed application within 15 business days. To do this, we accept new applications within this timeframe to allow us to focus on processing completed applications.
- Allow 15 business days for us to process your application: We understand how important it is to many who are eager to start a membership, however high volumes of status inquiries and duplicate submissions will only delay the process for everyone. Thank you for your understanding!
- Apply once over a 12-month period: Submitting multiple applications will delay the process for all of our applicants. Thank you for extending the same courtesy to all applicants awaiting their determination for an Experience Scholarship in a timely manner.
- If you have applied within the last 12 months and are requesting to start (or reactivate) a scholarship that has already been awarded, please contact Membership@RochesterYMCA.org. Your original application will be re-evaluated, and it will be determined then if reapplying is required.
- Please carefully consider which type of membership category you are applying for. If you request any changes to your membership type after you have been awarded, the request will be entered into the queue of submissions, and subject to the same processing timeline.
- Third-Party Billing: We welcome members of all backgrounds and abilities. If you intend for a membership to be paid for by a third party, including Self-Direction, please indicate this on your application.
- Outstanding balance on account: We require any prior, unpaid balance on an existing account be paid in full before we can process or award an Experience Scholarship, if eligible.
This application process applies to membership, swim lessons, youth sports, and partial-day preschool only.
- For assistance through our Before & After School Division, email ROCBASP@RochesterYMCA.org.
- Assistance for our Full Day Child Care, Day and Overnight Camps is provided through each of our branches individually, please contact the location that you wish to register for directly.
After a lengthy and comprehensive assessment, we have made thoughtful adjustments to the way we handle what has been known as our Financial Assistance Program. Our reimagination of the Financial Assistance Program has been designed to remove barriers and maximize availability of assistance. We realize that some members previously receiving assistance will see an increase in their monthly rate. In these cases, rates were not keeping pace with YMCA pricing and these changes are necessary to make assistance available to more people. As a cause-driven organization with a deep commitment to the community it serves, the Y strives to provide the most thorough consideration of all financial hardship in every application.
With this in mind, the Experience Scholarship rates provided are the very best possible within the program’s guidelines. More specifically, the Y will never offer a rate that is not the best possible award for each application. By approaching the Experience Scholarship in this way, the YMCA can continue to provide all of the benefits our members have come to value so much.
The application process is a combined effort with us all working together, and we want you to know any requirements and what to expect. Here is an overview of our process:
- Submit your application: You will receive an email reply confirming your application was received.
- We will follow up with you: You will receive an email in approximately 7 business days with next steps – you may be asked for further information to determine eligibility or to process your application. If you have not seen an email from us within 7 business days of your application date, please search the inbox of the email you applied with for a message with the subject line “YMCA Experience Scholarship”, searching both your inbox and your spam folders.
- Submit any requested information to the provided portal: All adults in the household must be included on the application and provide supporting documentation, regardless of whether they will be included in the membership you are applying for. If eligible, you will receive an Experience Scholarship Award email with instructions to activate your membership.
- Receiving an Experience Scholarship: You will have at least six weeks to redeem your offer and activate your membership, which is valid for 12 months from your start date. You will be asked to sign our Membership Agreement & Waiver and your award letter, which will include the membership type and corresponding monthly rate you were approved for. We require payment setup by auto-draft, and your first month’s membership fee be paid to begin using your membership.
- Activating your membership: Your first visit will take place at your selected home branch. This is when the front desk will provide any keytag(s) needed, have your member photo taken so our front desk staff can identify and welcome you each visit, and you can set up payment if still necessary. Once your membership is established, you are free to visit any of our locations with a Passport Membership. If you applied for a ROC City Membership, you will have access to our Maplewood Family, Innovation Square, and Thurston Road YMCA locations.
If you accept an Experience Scholarship, you agree to actively use your membership, which means you or anyone on your membership visit the Y at least one time within a 3-month period. We have so many ways for you to be involved in our Y community, including Group Exercise Classes, Child Watch, swimming, and water fitness. Click here to see even more benefits that our Y members enjoy every day!
What is the status of my application and when will I know if I’ve been approved?
Please allow 15 business days for your application to be processed. If your application is still pending once you’ve applied online, it’s likely we are awaiting any further information specifically requested. Please search your email for the subject line “YMCA Experience Scholarship”, searching both your inbox and your spam folders.
Why is there a delay in my application?
The following factors will generally delay our application process:
- Duplicate applications
- High volume of requests for status updates, through multiple channels
- Providing information inconsistent with original application (ie; application submitted under different name in household, maiden/hyphenated names, shortened/nicknames, multiple email addresses, etc)
- Changing your membership category
- There is an outstanding balance on your account
- Your Experience Scholarship was awarded, and the redemption window has expired
- Missing total household or income information that was requested and has not been received
Why did my price increase?
We realize that some members previously receiving assistance will see an increase in their monthly rate. In these cases, rates were not keeping pace with YMCA pricing and these changes are necessary to make assistance available to more people. With this in mind, the Experience Scholarship rates provided are the very best possible within the program’s guidelines. Our Experience Scholarship Program is funded by the generosity of the community. To be the very best stewards of these precious resources, the YMCA takes every measure possible to scholarship funding accurately, ensure that it’s allocated responsibly and ensure that it remains available all year-round.