We all know how important men’s health and wellness is all throughout the year, but we’re putting a special emphasis on it in June for National Men’s Health Month. Here are 10 tips to keep you chugging along on your health and wellness journey!
1. EXERCISE REGULARLY: Engage in physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day to improve cardiovascular health and regulate weight. Exercising is one of the easiest ways to ensure good health. According to National Institute of Health researchers, 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week can add 3.4 years to your life expectancy.
2. EAT A HEALTHY DIET: Incorporate fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats into your diet to maintain a balanced and nutritious intake. Having a healthy, balanced diet can help you reduce the risk of having diseases like cancer, type 2 diabetes, as well as cardiovascular disease.
3. GET ENOUGH SLEEP: Adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best and allow the body to recover. Not getting enough sleep can weaken your immune system and cause other health-related issues.
4. REDUCE STRESS: Practice stress management techniques like meditation, deep breathing, or yoga to improve mental health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Looking for a class to distress? Check out some of programs we have with our mind/body classes!
5: AVOID SMOKING AND EXCESSIVE DRINKING: Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can increase the risk of cancer, heart disease, and other health problems.
6. STAY HYDRATED: Drink enough water to maintain proper bodily functions and prevent dehydration. What’s the right amount? According to the US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine it was determined that an adequate daily fluid intake for men is 15.5 cups (3.7 liters).
7. MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT: Being overweight or obese can increase the risk of numerous health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Height and weight are directly connected; following the guide of an ideal weight chart can be helpful in aligning your weight directly to your height.
8. SCHEDULE REGULAR HEALTH CHECK-UPS: Annual check-ups with your doctor can detect health problems early on and ensure that you're receiving the proper screenings. From skin cancer and hypertension to anxiety/depression, regular health care visits can help men prevent disease and illness in their early stages.
9. PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE: Wash your hands regularly (20 seconds per wash!), shower daily, and practice safe food handling to reduce the risk of infections and illnesses. Consider this: according to Gintux, washing your hands can prevent 1 in 5 respiratory illnesses.
10. TAKE CARE OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH: Mental health is just as important as physical health and neglecting it can have serious consequences. Take time to practice self-care, whether that is through exercise, meditation, therapy, or other methods. Do not be afraid to seek help if you are struggling with anxiety, depression, or other mental health issues. Remember, taking care of your mind is an important part of taking care of your overall health.